Best Work Boots for Landscaping: Reviews and Buying Guide
Landscaping is an advanced form of gardening. It means changing visible features of a natural area to be aesthetically pleasing. This can be flora and fauna, terrain as well as water bodies. Whether you are a professional landscaping contractor or an occasional landscaper, you will realize that besides the hands, the legs do most of the work. Moving around, positioning you where you should be are some, but standing the whole day is what wears people down mostly. You spend many hours on your feet, standing in water, mud and other dirt, and you need nice boots to keep you comfortable, stable, and safe and most importantly waterproof you from the conditions you will be working in.
Landscaping exposes you to the following risks and hazards;
- Work tools. The tools being used, like shovels, garden forks and other sharp tools can cause serious cuts even amputations.
- Electric hazard. Electrical equipment such as lawn mowers and saws can pose electrocution risks too. This can be prevented by having a work boot that provides solid electrical hazard protection.
- This is a common health hazard in which the landscaping contractor will not only be on his feet the whole day but also in awkward positions for long periods as well trying to achieve perfection.
- Lifting and moving. The landscaping contractor is likely to carry heavy materials and tools which pose falling risks. Av steel or composite safety toe will be a necessity in the work boot you buy.
- Water, oil, pesticides and abrasives may be present in your working environment and this will need a work boot that is resistant to all those materials. It should also be waterproof with a rubber sole with good grip and traction to avoid slips and trips.
With the risks above, you do not just need a work boot but a good work boot. In order to stay safe from all these risks, consider the following before buying a work boot;
- Strength and durability. Prioritize these two factors since it will be embarrassing to buy a boot that gives up a few hours after use. Find one that is guaranteed to last you for long, made of quality materials like fabric, high-quality leather and leather blends.
- How able is the work boot to offer you comfort? The boot should not be too heavy for your feet and the interior should be something that pleases your feet. It should securely fit and best if it has a molded midsole.
- Landscaping is an outdoors activity and that means you are likely to encounter many risks. Go for a super-protective work boot. It should have a protective toe cap if possible, resistant to a number of elements like slips, water and moisture, shocks and abrasion. Besides, it should also have enough insulation to protect you against any electrical hazard.
- Ankle support. During landscaping, you are likely to encounter different types of surfaces and grounds. The surface is not always good enough to warrant the best grip so you need an ankle support that will combat what slipping might lead to, say a twisted ankle.
- Durable outsole. Your boots’ outer soles should be really strong as you do not know the ground you are working on. Make sure the soles do not get overworked by large thorns and tough mud.
- This goes hand in hand with comfort. Your boots should not limit your movements. They should move with your legs and not compromise your position even in uncomfortable situations. O achieve this, go for a softer boot.
- It will make no sense if you bought a boot that will not fit your leg. In this case, you should confirm the size first then check other things. However, there are some boots that you are advised to buy a size up or down, because of their specs which make them unfit if delivered in your usual size. We will highlight some.
- Well, boots with the best features are always expensive compared to the rest. However, it doesn’t mean that you can’t get nice boots at a reasonable price. You should have a budget you are working within. This will not only make it easy for you to narrow down your search but also you will get a great boot for a great price. As we all know, different brands have different prices for their boots.
- Before you decide to buy a given boot, take a moment and learn how the users before you have found it. In most cases, the boots have information that you need to hear so as to buy it, which is always a seller’s biased information. How about you get to read the reviews of people who bought the boot and know their experience. This will help you evade a disappointment or confirm that your decision is right.
We decided to help you avoid the hustle of having to go research for the best boot for landscaping. We know how hectic it is and would like to help. We are going to review five of the best boots for landscaping from which you can make a choice.
This is one of the most durable landscaping work boots in the market today and if you want something that is made of premium leather, here it is. These work boots are constructed using premium leather. They are lightweight and fully insulated hence do not take pride of their durability alone but also comfort and style. These boots are fully waterproof with most of their components being water resistant. These include the seal-direct attach construction and the full-grain leather upper. They are durably constructed with solid laces and well-reinforced stitches.
One good thing about these boots is that they do not work only for landscapers, but can also be used for other activities like farming, outdoor hiking, heavy duty construction, and gardening. This just goes ahead to prove the boots’ durability. Their interior has insulated linings which keeps your feet warm as well as strengthens the boots.
The rubber outsole is lightweight and versatile and it can bend. There is a comfortable PU midsole for more comfort for your feet. These boots are non-marking and they can resist oils and slips thanks to their good traction.
- Fully insulated and lightweight
- Great flexibility
- Moldable PU midsole
- Thanks to the premium leather construction, these boots are sturdy and durable
- Most of their components are waterproof
- Slip resistant with non-marking soles that have good traction
- These boots are versatile and can be used in a wide range of activities
- Unsuitable for serious backpacking and hiking
- There have been sizing issues
- Lack toe protection
This is a work boot that you might think was specifically made for landscapers. It is one of those footwear options that are all-purpose and versatile. The versatility is noticeable from how it can be used in a variety of tasks especially those that expose you to rain, mud or slush.
Muckster comes with a new height and an updated outsole pattern. Its design is easy to use, easy to slip into and when you want to get rid of it from your legs is easy too. It has an inbuilt traditional muck air mesh lining that helps make it breathable together with its 4mm neoprene. Besides breathability, the lining wicks away humidity and perspiration. Muckster is lightweight hence comfortable to use anywhere and for long. Even in wet and cold weather, you are guaranteed of your feet being kept warm.
Muckster’s outsole is made from comfortable rubber that has a high traction. It provides more than enough grip even when used on wet surfaces. The stretch-fit comfort topline is curved in order to improve the range of motion. The outsole gives these boots a big advantage since it is designed in such a way that it can shed off any debris that holds onto it. However some people find this design a bit frustrating since it doesn’t allow them to wipe their feet easily. It comes in a moss and green color scheme which complements any backyard, garden or outdoor work attire.
- This is a highly-versatile work boot that is designed for all purposes
- Has a new desirable height and outsole pattern
- Easy and simple to use
- Due to the muck air mesh lining and neoprene material, these boots are very breathable
- Lightweight and very comfortable
- The tread sign seems an issue to some users
Timberland is famous for building high quality, heavy duty and durable boots. They are made from durable leather which comes available in three different colors. Just like other Timberland boots, Pitboss 6” are also heavy duty. They are reinforced by stitching and this ensures they hold their shape. The soles are also thick, measuring 1.5 inches, and are synthetic.
Pitboss are designed to be oil and slip-resistant. The boots interior is cushioned with a footbed and an anti-microbial cover. The EVA midsole is made of polyurethane which helps wick away sweat and absorb shock as you walk. You will be amazed by the craftsmanship and protection of these boots.
The shaft is about 5.5 inches from the arch. For increased durability the boots have cast metal top hooks. A nylon shock-diffusion plate provides torsional rigidity and support. Top collars are padded for comfort and the interior has Cambrelle fabric linings that have anti-microbial treatment for odor control.
- The outsole is durable and abrasion resistant
- The midsole provides cushioning and wicks away sweat besides absorbing shock
- Has a nylon shank for stability and arch support
- Constructed using durable waterproof leather
- Electrical-hazard protective
- Has a mesh lining with Agion anti-microbial treatment
- Has an abrasion-resistant steel toe
- There are problems with the sizing, hence you are advised to go for the wide version
- Some customers complained about their water resistance
Cahartt has been in the manufacturing industry since 1889, producing quality workwear that put them in the map. Their products are known for their quality and durability and their input into footwear can be seen in this boot. Carhatt CMF6366 is constructed using 100% genuine leather. This makes it very appealing for buyers and users besides the rubber sole which offers comfort and strength to the boot. The sole has a shock absorbing traction and regardless of the work environment, it will still serve you well. This makes it versatile that you can use it indoors or outdoors, whether for a brief stroll or a busy work through a cold muddy environment. It has a sturdy flex but can stretch and move comfortably with you throughout the whole day.
Since it is sturdy and versatile with a rugged flex outsole, you do not have to worry about wearing it for long hours. The rubber outsole absorbs shock in any environment and is great for work or casual wear. Carhatt is durable since it is cement-constructed. Its comfort is enhanced by the generous padding its interior enjoys besides the tongue and collar. The lightweight EVA midsole plus the Ortholite insole will also accord you several layers of cushioning throughout the whole day.
The full grain leather is water resistant and will ensure that your ankles are safe and protected. Strong and sturdy string tie boot laces help keep your boot tied and intact. They are usually brown in color, made of oil tanned leather with cement construction. The boot is resistant to oil, slipping and chemicals so you should not worry about your feet getting wet.
- 100% genuine full grain leather
- Cement construction
- Sturdy and durable
- The rubber outsole is shock absorbing
- Can stretch and move comfortably with the movement of your feet
- Versatile hence can be used indoors, outdoors, for walks or for serious engaging works
- The interior is generously padded to provide more comfort
- Has a lightweight EVA midsole and Ortholite insole that give you layers of cushioning
- The full grain leather is water resistant
- The boot is slip, chemical and water resistant
- Comes with sturdy string tie laces which help tie up your boot and have it intact
- After some time the rubber might start peeling back
- It takes time to break in
- The composite toe is not as strong as a steel toe
The most outstanding feature of this work boot is its durability. That alone is enough to make you buy it but there are other features that you need to know. Its construction is unique and durable, it can handle almost all kinds of work environments, whether dirt or concrete surfaces.
This boot comes with an asymmetrical steel toe cap, a rubber toe guard and a gripping rubber outsole. All these ensure that the boot will last for long. This boot actually takes time before you can spot the first sign of wear. Its upper is waterproof and comes with lacing eyelets and a metal hook, making it highly supportive. It has an inbuilt lining that makes it comfortable enough inside since it is not only breathable but waterproof. The lining works in keeping moisture out while being supportive and comfy, with the help of an EVA midsole and EVA footbed. With the support that this boot has for the heel and arch, it is also safe for use by people with plantar fasciitis and flat feet.
The asymmetrical steel toe protection are specifically made to protect all your toes, from the biggest to the smallest. The toe box is roomy enough to allow your toes spread out and breathe. Besides, the toes can move, flex and avoids pinching whenever the foot is hyper-flexed. A metatomical footbed design is engineered towards providing an excellent arch support as well as cradling the contours of your foot.
It is important to note that no matter how hazardous your job is, this boot has ample protection for your feet. Besides the steel toe cap, it also has a reflective webbing and an electric hazard protection. Not mentioning a rubber toe guard in case of a slip and of course an oil-resistant outsole.
- His boot has a unique and durable construction
- Can be used by anybody with plantar fasciitis or even flat feet due to the awesome arch support
- Has a wide footroom that allows the toes to breathe, move and avoids pinching in case of hyper-flexion.
- The asymmetrical toe protection ensures your right and left foot are protected
- It can withstand dirt and concrete surfaces
- It is highly supportive and features a waterproof upper
- With a steel toe cap, electrical hazard protection and reflective webbing, your safety is guaranteed
- The outsole is oil and slip resistant
- There are issues when locking lace hooks
- The boot has breathability issues when exposed to a hot environment for long
As you can see, getting boots for landscaping can be quite hectic. You need to be so precise lest you buy a boot that will disappoint you when landscaping. We however hope the information above will be helpful.