Best Airless Paint Sprayer
Depending on the tool you are using, a job that seemed a piece of cake a while back can turn out to be quite a task, or vice versa. In painting, time is everything. You want to paint quickly and move to the next thing. That’s why paint sprayers are replacing painting brushes and rollers. There are different types of paint sprayers, but the most popular ones are the airless paint sprayers. They are called airless paint sprayers because they use compressor to mix the paint and pump it out as a mixture of fine mist.
Airless paint sprayers are not popular for no reason, no. In a market with three types of paint sprayers, more than half of them are airless paint sprayers. Why are they so popular?
- To start with, they offer you a portable solution for your painting needs. If you have a long hose, you are likely to enjoy a better consistent spray as you paint, something that you wouldn’t have achieved with a brush or roller.
- Some airless paint sprayers have wheels attached to the frame so that you can easily transport it from one place to the other. Although this always compromises the price of the paint sprayer, it makes your work easier.
- Sometimes an airless paint sprayer takes the paint straight from the can. This is however dependent on the nozzle and the filtering process included with the gun.
- Some of the best airless paint sprayers have adjustable pressure controls which enable you to apply paint at different settings. Some sprayers include a cleaning setting too.
- Less paint waste. An airless paint spray has less overspray compared to the other paint sprayers since they hydraulically atomize the paints. The other sprayers use solvents, thinners and retarders to lower the paint’s viscosity, something that adds to costs and overspray.
- Superior control and efficiency. Airless paint sprayers use hydraulic pressure to deliver paint while other paint sprayers use solvents. Due to the lack of high velocity air atomizing in the paint, there is less bounce-back and overspray compared to other sprayers.
- Superior finish at a lower cost. What many people consider when choosing a paint sprayer is the quality of the finish. An airless spray system provides satisfactory finish quality when applied well.
Lest you become disappointed, you need to be keen at what you are buying. You need to know about what you are looking for and that means when shopping for an airless paint sprayer, you need to consider some things. These include;
- Sprayer horsepower. A sprayer’s horsepower will give you an idea of how many gallons in a minute it can go through. This shows you how quickly it can finish painting. While you might be tempted to go for the largest motor with a higher horsepower, remember that being quicker than you can manage might result to mistakes. So take something that you can comfortably work with.
- Pounds per square inch. This lets you know which type of tip will work best with your sprayer. The higher the number the more powerful the sprayer hence will accommodate large tips.
- Tip size. Ethane and wood stains, while those ones from .013 to .015 are great for oil paints, latex and enamel paints. Thicker paints need tip sizes of up to .021.
- A sprayer with a low volume will be more lightweight, but require you to stop and refill more often. Larger capacity sprayers will be heavier but will require less or no refills at all. Consider where you want to paint then decide the volume of paint sprayer you need.
- Spray pattern. This refers to the pattern of paint which the sprayer puts on the wall. Top models have smoother patterns which let you paint with fewer coats hence faster completion while the smaller ones require multiple coats hence much time.
- Ease of adjustment. Some paint sprayers come with dial or knob near the tip for you to twist and adjust how it sprays. Go for a paint sprayer that is easier to adjust.
- Some sprayers are powered by electricity while others are powered by gas, hence you need to keep extra fuel for nit. You also need to keep that in mind, and but what you will easily power.
- Now, we all consider the price of any item we intend to purchase. Is it within our budget? Is there a similar product which is a little bit cheaper? You need to consider cheaper options.
- Of course, this is not a feature of the airless paint sprayer but it too counts. What are other users saying about that given sprayer? A sprayer might look great and eye-candy in pictures but is a menace to use. Read reviews to get what other users have experienced with the sprayer. That way, you will be able to make more right choices.
That said, what are some of the best airless paint sprayers currently?
This is a lightweight and extremely portable paint sprayer that is easy to store once not in usage. With its control knob, you can choose the pressure setting that you want to use, from light to medium spray coverage.
Magnum X5 is best for interior and exterior walls, decking and fences. Particularly, it is useful when painting large areas. However, you have to learn how to set it up and clean it, something that is easy once mastered. It comes with a DVD guide to help you by making the learning process much easier.
The paint sprayer can be used in any direction since it has a swivel nozzle. Besides, it is very light and easy to hold, something that makes it easy to hold. It covers a large surface of area during painting, giving excellent coverage and can take very little time to finish a project.
You only need to remember to cover the surrounding areas that do not need to be painted.
Magnum X5 takes position one as the best airless paint sprayer due to a number of reasons. It quickly covers large areas, it gives your surfaces smooth even quality finishes, it is easy to set up, has an amazing reverse tip and many more.
- Magnum X5 is lightweight but very durable
- Great value for money
- It is very easy to use
- Suitable for a wide range of projects
- Comes with a fully adjustable pressure control
- The paint sprayer can be held in any direction thanks to the swivel nozzle
- Easy storage when not in use
- Has a DVD to guide you on set up and use
- There is usually suction loss whenever paint in the bucket gets low
- It does not swivel on hose
Homeright can roughly cover up to 2,000 square feet in thirty minutes. This is because it can spray 5 gallons of paint within 20 minutes. If you have a large area you intend to paint, HomeRight is the best to use whether interior or exterior, though it is particularly effective on interior doors.
You do not have to worry on the quality of finish as it applies an even coating to any surface. This unit is easy to adjust when painting and extremely easy to use. Besides, there is very little overspray. A 515 reversible spray tip also comes as part of the package to assist in removing clogs. The sprayer is easy to clean after use as all you need to do is run a cleaning solution of water solvent through the sprayer till the stain or paint is done.
Setting up this sprayer has been made easy by the DVD that comes as part of the package to guide you through. It is a very light paint sprayer which weighs only 19 pounds. This means you can operate it with one hand and is easy to control. The 25-foot hose adds more maneuverability with this unit as you can reach all around the building.
Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- HomeRight’s PSI is powerful and can do heavy duty jobs
- The spray gun has a swivel
- The pressure is easily adjustable
- Can be used by professionals
- Comes with a 515 reversible spray tip to remove clogs
- Easy to clean
- There have been complains about the unit’s packaging
- HomeRight is not good with thicker paints
Thanks to a fully adjustable pressure setting on this paint sprayer’s head, Graco Magnum 25702 gives you so much reliability and absolute control over paint flow in any project. It has a stainless steel piston pump that helps you spray unthinned paint at high pressure. The suction tube also allows you to suck directly from a 1 or 5-gallon paint bucket.
Graco Magnum comes with a powerflush adapter which which connects to a garden hose for easy and fast cleaning, while the 515 (0.015) RAC IV switch tip allows one to reverse the tip if the spray clogs while you’re spraying. The sprayer can support paint up to a 50 feet hose and reach peaks or second stories without any effect on the performance. You can paint up to 0.24 gallons per minute.
This paint sprayer has a storage compartment-space where you can store your spray gun, the power cord and those extra gun tips. Its annual use recommendation is 50 gallons per year.
- It uses paint straight from the can hence no need to empty and refill anything
- Adjustable pressure settings
- The delivery hose is very long, you do not have to move around with the tool and paint container
- The nozzle barrel arrangement is one of the best features of this paint sprayer
- Since the pump only operates when there is output demand, priming is easy and reduced wear and tear.
- You can easily disassemble this paint sprayer for cleaning
- Graco is economic as it wastes very little paint
- It is fast
- Easy to set up and use
- Not designed to be used on a daily basis
- Comes with a 25-foot hose
This lightweight and portable sprayer offers the new High-Efficiency Airless (HEA) technology which can decrease overspray by up to 55% over other airless sprayers. Another thing that you will like about ControlMax is how durable it is, lasting three times more than its competitors. Likewise, the fluid section is easy to replace and that will maximize the life of the sprayer.
If you want to achieve priming every time you are painting, then use the Sureflo Pusher Valve. Controlmax offers a 0.60 horsepower motor cable which pumps up to 1500 PSI and 0.33 GPM. This is the new version of Titan’s control max, offering a more consistent finish using a softer spray.
ControlMax also comes in a 1900 model and can accommodate a hose up to 80 feet long. Another great thing is that it comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Cheap and affordable
- Uses HEA technology to reduce overspray
- It lasts 3 times more than other airless paint sprayers
- The fluid section is easy to replace
- The pump is durable
- Can accommodate an 80-feet long hose
- Has softer spray offering a more consistent finish
- Thicker materials need to be thinned a little before use
- Takes time to clean it
- Moving around with this paint sprayer has proven tricky to some users since the sprayer is separate from the paint
With this paint sprayer, you get more than just a great DIY tool for home use. The design of Campbell Hausfeld is compact yet it is mobile with a wheelbarrow design for you to easily haul it. Besides, it gives the sprayer’s motor a roll cage for added protection.
Campbell Hausfeld Quadra flow sprayer is perfect for different kinds of home painting jobs. A TEFC electric type motor is implemented to spray a variety of coatings and cartridge valves are used to make it even easier. Constructed using a sturdy aluminum, it holds capacity of up to 5 gallons of paint through its large suction filter valve. It is designed with electrical power supply and operates at a moderate voltage of 120V
Your costs are limited since Campbel Hausfeld doesn’t require a compressor to operate. Within the setup is enough power to help you use two guns at the same time to spray and achieve great end results. A metal spray begun comes standard with the sprayer and works very well with heavy paints and coatings. With a pressure of 3,000 PSI, you are doing approximately 1 gallon of paint in every two minutes. The package also includes a 50-feet airless hose that will withstand high pressure.
Even with the thickest commercial-quality paints, Campbel Hausfeld works so great, you do not have to change the paint’s viscosity.
- Allows you to spray using two guns at once and get great results
- Has a wheelbarrow design for easy movement with pneumatic tires
- Includes a 50-feet high-pressure hose
- Gives a perfect spray finish
- Needs no compressor
- It is ideal for painting large surfaces where other sprayers fall short
- Tends to get clogged from time to time, especially if it stays long without usage
- The pressure settings at maximum are too strong that you need to reduce a little bit
Like any other device, the airless paint sprayer sometimes develop issues. You do not have to panic, neither does it mean that you chose a wrong or less quality spray painter. You only need to change something in your setting, or it means you overlooked some specs.
- Spray guns become clogged. It is normal for the filter or nozzle to get clogged from time to time. In this case you need to remove the clogged part from the sprayer, rinse it with clean water or replace it if it is damaged. If your sprayer’s tip is reversible, turn it 180 degrees before running the paint on the lowest setting possible.
- Spray pattern has tails. This is probably due to a worn out tip hence low pressure. Likewise, you might have set the pressure too low, and if this is not the case then you need to change the tip.
- Hot motor. Motors run hot when they are too small. Decrease your pressure and increase your nozzle.
- Spray gun isn’t working at all. This means there is something (paint) frozen or hardened in your machine. Remember to clean your machine after every application to avoid such embarrassments. In case of a hardened or frozen paint in your machine, you can try to thaw it.
Buying an airless paint sprayer should not be such difficult, but it usually is. The information above is aimed at helping you to be well aware of what to look out for, depending on your needs. The reviewed five products are among the best and trust me, settling on any of them will prove a better choice.